America drops sale-of-secrets-to-China case against Temple physics professor after making embarrassing – and crucial – evidence error
- Dr Xi Xiaoxing had been accused of sharing sensitive American-made technology with China
- The FBI said he had sent details of a secret sophisticated device known as a ‘pocket heater’ to Chinese scientists
- The federal agents claimed they had the blueprints for the heater that Dr Xi had passed on as a ‘spy’
- It now turns out the blueprints weren’t for the pocket heater at all
- All charges against Dr Xi have been dropped – four months after he was led away in handcuffs, his career on the brink of ruin
- On Friday he lashed out at the FBI for putting his family through hell for no reason whatsoever, saying: This is not a joke. This is not a game’
By ASSOCIATED PRESSPUBLISHED: 23:54 EST, 11 September 2015 | UPDATED: 05:31 EST, 12 September 2015
*** begin quote ***
An American scientist who was accused of being a spy for China has had all the charges against him dropped after the FBI admitted it had made a massive mistake in arresting him in the first place.
Federal agents had claimed they had evidence that Dr Xi Xiaoxing sent the secret blueprints for a sophisticated U.S. device called a ‘pocket heater’ to Chinese scientists.
But months after the physics professor was led away in handcuffs from Temple University, where he works, the FBI admitted the blueprints they found were not for the heater at all – but for a totally innocuous gadget.
On Friday night, Dr Xi, 57, said in a phone interview reported in the New York Times: ‘I don’t expect them to understand everything I do. But the fact that they don’t consult with experts and then charge me? Put my family through all this? Damage my reputation? They shouldn’t do this. This is not a joke. This is not a game.’
*** end quote ***
Maybe the agents have been listening to the Donald and his anti-Chinese rhetoric?
In actuality, the Gooferment is immoral, ineffective, and inefficient. And here’s an example.
Black Eye for the FBI.
Guess they have to go back to setting up fools for charges.
# – # – # – # – #