Have We Reached Peak NFL?
December 15, 2017
*** begin quote ***
1. The NFL has saturated the potential audience to the point of exhaustion.
2. The potential audience is shrinking as student-loan-burdened Millennials have collectively little interest in spending the money or time required to be a rabid fan of pro football.
3. The cost of attending an NFL game is increasingly out of reach of the bottom 95% of households.
4. TV viewership is declining across the entire demographic spectrum.
5. The wages/income of the vast majority of the TV audience has stagnated, and 95% of the populace has less disposable income than a generation ago.
6. The top 5% with the majority of the disposable income are not big pro sports fans, mostly due to the many demands on their time and the diversity of other pursuits available to them.
How will the owners and managers of the multi-billion-dollar NFL empire handle the league’s decline phase? Managing the decline phase is less fun than reveling in the expansion phase.
*** end quote ***
Was it the interjection of politics or perhaps finding out that the taxpayers were paying for the NFL’s patriotism?
Perhaps, it’s just its time has past.
# – # – # – # – #