PortableApps is an open source, application launcher that you install directly to your USB or cloud drive and use on any PC. You can download hundreds of portable applications from the PortableApps integrated directory, like Firefox, Skype, and more. This means you take your browser with your bookmarks and extensions, your office suite, your photo editor, your music collection, your games, your development tools, and more with you everywhere you go. And because everything stays on your drive, every PC becomes your PC. Additional features include integrated backup, interface themes, a search option, support for personal files, favorites and more.
PortableApps.com at a Glance
It took a few minutes to install the PortableApps Platform, and several more to install six apps including ClamWin, Firefox, GIMP, KeePass, Skype, and Stellarium. To start, we launched the heavyweight GIMP without a hitch, while each additional app opened just as quickly. The idea of carrying apps around on a USB seems plausible but the idea of loading the PortableApps Platform to Dropbox, or the like, seems like an even better idea. So, without further adieu, consider trying the PortableApps Platform, especially if you’ve been thinking about the best way to take your apps for a joy ride.
Here is a detailed breakdown of PortableApps’ features:
- Take your apps everywhere—PortableApps lets you carry all your favorite apps on a portable device or cloud drive and use them on any PC.
- Use a portable device, cloud directory, or local drive—The PortableApps Platform comes with a smart installer that easily installs your environment to a portable device, a cloud drive (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.), or a local PC, so you can safely back up data to the cloud.
- Quickly find and install apps—PortableApps has a built-in app store that lists apps by category, title, or new and recently updated so you can install the apps you want with just a few clicks. And there’s no download limit.
- Easily organize apps—Grow and organize your app collection with folders that group them automatically or as you see fit. Pick favorites and have the menu learn what to keep up front and center. Or use the search to find what you’re looking for.
- Easily update apps—When a new security fix for your browser is released or a new feature in your favorite game is available, the PortableApps Updater automatically lets you know. Just click a button and the updates are downloaded and installed without messing up your settings and saved files.
- Personalize your app menu—With a dozen bundled themes, each with a rainbow of color selections, the PortableApps Platform lets you pick a different look every day for months and never have the same menu twice.
- Take your fonts along too—The PortableApps Platform supports the ability to carry fonts on your portable device and use them with your portable software without needing to install them on the local machine.
- Advanced Features—The PortableApps Platform has the power and the options to work the way you want. And if there’s something we haven’t added that you’d like to see, just ask in the forums. We add new features every month!
# – # – # – # – #
Always handy for when you have a windoze box to work on.
# – # – # – # – #