FROM THE WALL STREET JOURNAL “The 10-Point”
*** begin quote ***
A South Florida high school became the latest scene of a deadly mass shooting in the U.S. after a gunman opened fire at the end of the school day, leaving 17 people dead and more than a dozen injured. The suspect, who is in custody, is 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, a former student who had been expelled for disciplinary reasons, police said. Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said the suspect had “countless” gun magazines and one “AR-type rifle.” The victims include both students and teachers, the sheriff said. Twelve people were killed inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., and three outside the school. Two others died at the hospital. The Florida school shooting is the deadliest since the 2012 shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., where 20 children and six adults were killed. It is the third-deadliest school shooting in modern U.S. history, after Sandy Hook and Virginia Tech. One parent, who reached his daughter on the phone as the shooting unfolded, said: “She’s 14 years old and she had to see multiple dead bodies….It’s something that you hear about all the time, and you never think it will happen to you.”
*** end quote ***
Now that a little time has past, here’s my “solutions”.
- “Gun-free zones” are nothing more than “Target rich environments”. End them!
- Arm any teacher, bureaucrat, or custodial person interested.
- Screen the students for “wackos”.
- Study the relationship between these events and the drugs given to young men.
- Surveil “social media” sites for young men with weapons fetishes.
- “Harden” the Gooferment Skrules.
- Implement “Constitutional Carry” like in Vermont.
- Pass “National Reciprocity”; just like “drivers’ licenses”.
- Enforce the existing laws & enforce prison terms like “felon in possession”, “straw purchases”, and “attempted purchases by disqualified persons” with NO plea deals! (DJT45 should be leaning on the various Deputy Attorneys around the country for regular reports on their results.)
# – # – # – # – #
You can screen for wackos like your blog says, but then what do you do? You can’t arrest or detain them….and that certainly would go against your libertarian civil liberties. I’m not sure there is a defense for this stuff…at least on that vein.
[JR: You most certainly can “detain” them as “threat to themselves and others”. All States have a 72 hour hold. And, an adversarial court finding would bar them from purchasing firearms under the current laws.]
# – # – # – # – # 2018-Feb-18 @ 09:09