An interesting thing happened to me the other day when I was driving up to The Free State of New Hampshire https://freestateproject.org/ from the Pepuls Republik of Nu Jerzee!
I stopped for dinner at a local diner along the way. After parking, this driver starts choking the horn at me. WTH. So I walk over, and this old biddie is yelling “Directions. I need directions.” and starts to ask me local geography questions — what road is this, where is deerfield, is this route something or other. I thought I was on Jeopardy finally but she was no Alex Trebeck.
So, I said “OK. First calm down. Close your door. Lock it. And roll down the window.”
It took her at least two minutes to do that. I said: “OK, I’ll help you but never open your door around strangers. What is the problem?”
She was still agitated. But I got the story she was lost, she got off at the wrong exit, and didn’t know how to get home.
Wow, that’s easy.
I told her to wait in her car while I got my phone. Which I did. I had the WAZE app up like I always do for traffic and police alerts.
So, I asked her address. She gave it to me and it was about two miles away.
I showed her the map, and then I went over the turn by turn. She was still confused.
I could see that this was not going to end well if I just sent her off into the night. So I said, “OK, just follow me. I’ll lead you home.”
Got in my car, turned around, and led her home.
10 minutes away. (She obviously turned the wrong way off I91 and got confused.)
Led her to her house. Without getting out of my car — window to window — confirmed she knew where she lived. Waited while she pulled in and went into the house.
Went back to the diner and had some very dry “bad” meatloaf. And thought about the incident.
LESSONS LEARNED (Maybe I watch to much Law & Order)
- She trusted fate. I could have been a “bad guy”.
- I trusted fate. She could have been a “bad guy”. (Pretty random chance.)
- There could have been Unintended Consequences of my good deed.
- Alert one of my “shadows” that I am deviating from plan.
- Photo and share her plate number.
- Notify the police about what’s happening. Have them schedule a “welfare check”. I probably need to give them my plate number if I knew it.
- Confirm with my “shadows” that I am back on plan.
Does that sound reasonable or am I being to “Law & Order” paranoid?
# – # – # – # – #