Now everyone has a First Amendment right to their opinion. How’s that phrase go: “I may despise what you say but I will defend to the death your right to say it.”
That being said, I have a very short list of “celebrities” that are on my “<synonym for excrement> list”. I refuse to support these “stars” in any endeavor. Not for their opinion, but for the manner or location of what they have said.
I created this list after the infamous “Hanoi Jane” picture while Americans were in the Hanoi Hilton.
(1) Jane Fonda, for Hanoi Hilton betrayal. (I might forgive the pictures, but rating the POW’s message to her North VietNam handlers was, is, and will always be unforgivable. Men died as result of that!)
On the maybe list:
(2) Alex Baldwin for his promise to leave the USA if Bush won. He didn’t.
(3) Roseanne Barr for the disrespect to the national anthem. Recently, “Romney pro-rape”; seriously?
(4) Sean Penn for anti-American statements made on foreign soil.
On the watch list:
(5) Barbara Striesand …
(6) George Clooney …
(7) Steven Spielberg …
(8) Michelle Obama lauds ‘smart,’ ‘engaged,’ and ‘politically savvy’ Jane Fonda 01/22/14
More when I get time.
Remember it’s not about them exercising their right to Free Speech. Everyone has a right, possibly a duty to speak out. But it must be done sincerely, truthfully, and fairly. Otherwise, it’s grandstanding or, worse, seditious.
You can be mad. You can be angry. You can be crude.
You must be authentic!