*** begin quote ***
Is job hopping the new normal? : The Work Buzz theworkbuzz.com
Job hopping used to be taboo, but today it’s not only common, it’s also considered a good quality in many workers. What changed?
*** end quote ***
The “gold watch” era is over. “Job hopping” is still taboo. But, the perception is reality. Today, it’s all about being “entrepreneurial or intrapreneurial”. Everyone is on their own. In an organization or not, you’re really on “The Apprentice” every minute.
That may sound to cynical, but …
Success for this generation is:
(1) ruthless financial discipline — no bad debt;
(2) a life long interest in learning — education — a degree — they can’t take it away from you;
(3) a NON-OFFSHORABLE white collar job in order to save big bux;
(4) a blue collar skill for hard times — never saw a poor plumber;
(5) one or more internet based businesses — your store is always open;
(6) develop a second business or avocation – under the radar – start small part-time;
(7) a large will-maintained network of people who can and will “help” you;
(8) buy and save assets that hold their value over time; and
(9) emulate the Amish and Mormons for their sense of community, simple thrifty living, and true to core values.
Notice that “loyalty to an employer who will screw you when it suits their purpose” is nowhere on that list.
It’s a complete paradigm and meme change that’s required.
It’s all about creating value. However one is uniquely qualified to do it, you have to do it in such a way that you retain some. And, you must always focus on unlocking value. For yourself primarily. And, developing skills at doing it.
Very cynical, I know. Very blunt. But, what does one expect from a fat old white guy injineer. And, you really don’t think the “unemployment rate” is under 10%? Lot of people have to learn a new set of paradigms and memes to compete in the new world.
# # # # #