AlterNet / By Lynn Stuart Parramore
50 Is the New 65: Older Americans Are Getting Booted from Their Jobs — and Denied New Opportunities
Age discrimination could be headed for you, sooner than you think.
*** begin quote ***
In every corner of America, millions of people are terrified of losing their jobs and falling into financial ruin. Men and women with impressive professional achievements and credentials are being let go, nudged out and pushed aside. They are pounding the pavement and scouring the job sites, but find themselves turned away even for the most basic retail jobs. Not because they aren’t competent. Not because they lack skills. But simply because they have a gray hair or two.
This is not just a story of people in their 60s or 70s. Workers as young as 50 are shocked to find themselves suddenly tossed onto the employment rubbish heap, just when they felt on top of their game. They’re feeling stressed, angry and betrayed by a society which has benefited greatly from their contributions.
As the global population grows older, age discrimination is on the rise. It could be headed for you, much sooner than you think.
*** end quote ***
“I’m shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!” Captain Renault in Casablanca
So what does society do about it?
Unfortunately, there is nothing to be “done”.
Folks have to:
* Realize that they must form their own businesses.
* Create “streams of earnings”. (Think 10 ½ day part time jobs!)
* Develop powerful personal networks. (Not just numbers people on Linkedin, Twitter, or Facebook!)
* Invest in themselves.
* Formulate their Plan B, Plan C, D, E, … Z.
* Refine their Unique Value Equations and the corresponding Unique Sales Propositions.
* And, about establish a ruthless financial discipline, that recognizes the expected delay in finding another paycheck, by increasing dramatically increasing “rainy day” savings. (Over 40, one must recognize that you may never find another job like the one you have at the money you are currently making.)
Now that last sentence is very scary.
You MUST know your BURN rate. You MUST become a MISER (Unless you never need to work again.) You MUST invest wisely and avoid stupid money mistakes.
And, most of all, you MUST have COURAGE!
# – # – # – # – #