BY ALEX CHAVERS NEWS, TECH
AUGUST 18, 2014
LOOK OUT! CARS MUST BE ABLE TO WARN EACH OTHER SAYS GOVERNMENT
*** begin quote ***
Cars and light trucks of the future must be able to talk to each other and warn of potential dangers. This first step from the government requiring the technology could prevent thousands of accidents and fatalities.
How would it work? A radio signal would be used to continually transmit a vehicle’s position, speed and other info. Other cars equipped with the same technology would be able to read the data and warn of any potential collision. The range of the radio signal is limited to about 300 yards. Plenty of distance to warn your car of any potential accidents.
*** end quote ***
I’d rather have the self-driving Google cars.
And my “Big Brother” paranoia rises to the top.
- Your car “broadcasts” that your tags, insurance, or inspection is expired. And the “revenue agents” are summoned to ticket you. Or maybe you’re tried in absentia?
- Your car records your speeding and is used against you in a court of law. It hears you texting, exiting, or smoking and notifies the appropriate “revenue agent”?
- It has a breathalyzer add on?
- Your neighborhood mechanic disables the feature. So much for that much ballyhooed save at the stop light.
- Hackers take over your car? Impossible, yeah right!
- How long until Crony Capitalists figure out other <synonym for excrement> to force you to put on your car?
- And yet another pos that will fail and / or require maintenance.
- Also, roadside checkpoints to ensure it’s working “to protect the public”.
I think I don’t like this idea until the “bugs” are out of the District of Corruption.
# – # – # – # – #