*** begin quote ***
I am starting college this fall, advice needed please?
*** end quote ***
(1) Plan to be “balanced”. Eat, exercise, and sleep in normal proportion. Mange your time well. Do the big things first and fill in with the less important.
(2) Keep a written record of every person you meet in your travels. Try to “connect” with as many as possible. They can become your “network of contacts” in the future.
(3) Be ruthless in your financial discipline. You can bury yourself in debt. Think Return on Investment. Seek to earn some money with your education as it progresses. It’ll help later on getting a “real job”.
(4) Pick your major, minor, and electives with your future employment in mind. Your while collar job will provide the big component of your earnings in the future. Choose wisely.
(5) Try to pick up a blue collar skill that will allow you to earn money if you’re laid off of your white collar job and have some time to spare. Never saw a “poor” plumber. Pick something you like and make it fun while putting some coins in the bank.
(6) Be alert to any internet based business that you can “do” in parallel to the all the above activities. Look for synergy between the activities such that you can recycle, reuse, or repurpose. Write a paper for your college course, offer it to a blog – publication – other outlet.
(7) Have fun, (but not too much); it’s the “best time” of your life. Live it to the fullest.
I’m green with envy and wish I could do it again with what I know now. :-) But life doesn’t work like that. I can state authoritatively that the “woulda, coulda, and shouldas” will KILL you later in life. Don’t miss anything.you would, should, or could try. Consistent with good judgment.
Let us know how you make out.
# # # # #
Update: Voted “best”. Yeah! More menaingless points!!!